Gorilla Organization



Lgwoi.jpg

The Gorilla Organization, the international charity led by experienced African conservationists dedicated to saving the world’s last remaining gorillas from extinction. Our award-winning community-based approach to conservation promotes sustainable livelihoods, nurtures young conservationists of the future and empowers local people to tackle the main threats to the gorillas’ survival.

UK Reg Charity 1117131

Saturday 27 November 2010

Day 58 - Put on a Happy face

Another week down, back to training at the weekend again (too busy in the evenings again).

So, Parkrun time again - getting up early on a Saturday and off to War Memorial Park ... but boy it's cold this morning. You know its cold when the most of the dogs the runners bring are Huskies (no joke).

Out with the WildMan shirt, the RatRace Buff and the compression ... er ... trouser thingies ... (OK tights) and go out and have a good run (I love the freebies from these runs, it's great), and I came back in with a time of 24:17 - a good 'warm' up for tomorrow's HellRunner.
Thrupppp!
However, the other side of the training hit me today ... it does get very lonely out there and its at that point you really appreciate the support of those who back you but you can feel doubts too...

  • Am I being taken seriously?
  • Do they realise why I'm doing this?
  • Do they care?

I know that sounds harsh so I feel I should back up that kind of statement ... each of the events I have selected in my training is there to push me ... they aren't easy and require a lot of preparation (both physically and mentally), and I want to come out of these events more confident and stronger as I prepare for 40Km in a gorilla suit in April. I know that at this point in time I cannot run a marathon today but I am trying my best to not let the gorillas down.

Why am I doing this - here are some of the reasons:

  • Helping People
    • The Gorilla Organization helps communities that are  hungry, they use the tagline "Empty stomachs have no ears." To start protecting the gorilla habitat it has to start with helping African people in need.
  • Re-building the environment
    • Almost  800,000 native trees have been replanted to help restore the forest.
  • I Hate stats!
    • If somebody can put a positive spin on the following stats, and why we shouldn't care then please let me know:
      • Cross River Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla diehli), found on the Nigeria-Cameroon border, estimated population 204-292. IUCN threat category: Critically endangered
      • Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei), found in Rwanda, Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, estimated population 700. IUCN threat category: Endangered.

These are only some of the reasons for my support of this charity. I'd really like to know if you are supporting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment