Gorilla Organization



Lgwoi.jpg

The Gorilla Organization, the international charity led by experienced African conservationists dedicated to saving the world’s last remaining gorillas from extinction. Our award-winning community-based approach to conservation promotes sustainable livelihoods, nurtures young conservationists of the future and empowers local people to tackle the main threats to the gorillas’ survival.

UK Reg Charity 1117131

Saturday 1 October 2011

I am running like a one-year old!!!

Amazing to think that one year ago today I started this blog (check out the first posting here: http://marathongorilla.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-1-saga-begins.html) - since then it's been read over  as well as my twitter persona @MarathonGorilla - and he's still tweeting away.




Wow!

And to celebrate last week I took part in the Great Gorilla Run 2011. Which in many ways is what started me off getting back into fitness and then running the 26 warm furry miles in April.

I was back in London ... and back in the suit ... but this time not alone ... there was the whole whoop of us (Apparently the term whoop came from the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch with "Gerald the Gorilla") and it was so much fun!!!

All these people shared the same desire to have fun and help preserve a species, and given the heat of about 22-23 degrees on the day it certainly wasn't chilly in those suits, they showed how much they really had committed to this cause.

A sneaky photo with Bill Oddie who started the race.
Back in the suit ... and the tutu (hmmm!)
Did I go for an Epic time? no not really, I was having too much fun chatting to runners and spectators alike (not that I have any reputation for chatting ... cough ... cough).

For those who have never seen the Great Gorilla Run check out the album my friend Adrian has uploaded to flikr (he had so much fun trying to photograph every gorilla he saw...)
I was even 'Knighted' by Bill Oddie at the end of race.
So, should  I stop now ?

Actually, "No!", I have enjoyed doing all the races over the last year (and most of the training). I have met so many interesting people and heard their amazing stories of who/why they run; many of these stories are so personal to their daily lives it helps you put things in perspective. For example in the Maidenhead Half-Marathon recently I met Alan Rowe OBE, who let me carry 'The Baton' for part of the race, he explained how it had travelled the globe, and recently went to the North Pole as show in 'Harry's Arctic Heroes'.

Following the pattern of most London Marathon runners, one week after the race you re-apply for the next year - and unfortunately I did not get in. I don't want to take a charity place for next year as I'd prefer my overly generous friends to get 'Charity Fatigue' - you guys helped so much this year it was amazing.

However, in the 'You didn't get through' pack there is a flyer for the Edinburgh Marathon in May, and I signed up straight away. Will it be suited? Not sure yet - I may need to negotiate with my wife Helen quite extensively. Besides, there are plans for some more 'Gorilla Outings' in the future, but quoting Dr. Who 'Spoilers!'

For everyone who did get through to VLM 2012 - Good Luck!!! I will be there to cheer you on. If you have never done it before - you will be blown away by the spectacle of the day - and remember to keep training and enjoy the run.

Now .. for that cake ...


No comments:

Post a Comment